One could go on and on forever talking about anything, but I'll just touch on it here.

Friday, January 6, 2012

May Boys Never Grow Up

Three 4th grade boys amuse me with their antics every weekday morning from 8:45 to 9:30. Today I told them that their reading progress showed that they could move to the next level soon, but I needed them to focus and calm down—aka sit still and stop distracting each other from their reading. (Terrible to have to tell nine-year-old boys to sit still and stop their rocket noises, but all in all I am less an authority figure more an older comrade letting them get away with most everything. I work with some awesome kids.)

The idea of moving up a level immediately translated to computer game talk in their brains.

Boy 1: You mean like [technical term], [technical term], Boss, [technical term] level?

Me: Come again?

Boy 1: (Repeats everything he just said.)

Me: OK, I have no idea what you are saying.

Boy 1 to Boy 3: (Boy 2 is mostly quiet, except when 1 and 3 draw him out of his shell with their infectious peer-pressure charm) Remember when we played [name of computer game] and we got to upgrade [technical term]?

Boy 3: (Let's just say he spoke the same language.)

Then Boy 3 turns to me and says: Can I upgrade this pencil to a pen?

Me: No ( I laugh)

For the next few minutes I tolerated a pencil being used as a lightsaber, a calculator being used to calculate 99,000, and our book being used very little. Then it was time for them to go back to class. I doled out the prize suckers to the two boys who did all their at-home reading for the week and then watched them wait in line with the other kids and try to accept two additional suckers from my co-worker, who didn't realize that my kids already had their candy.

Um, [Boy 1 and Boy 2] have candy, I called out. They grinned sheepishly.

 -----

Well, I think I'll go hang out with my husband. He's downstairs watching "Phineas and Ferb" cartoons and imagining if he, too, can build a rollercoaster in his backyard.

No comments:

Post a Comment