One could go on and on forever talking about anything, but I'll just touch on it here.

Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Angels in the Grocery Store

I searched for the boxes of apple cider on the high shelf, noticing the sweet little man in the wheelchair in front of me and his kind little wife pushing him along slowly. They made a train down the aisle, she also pulling a cart behind her. I waited until they got by, found the cider, and turned to put it in my cart when I heard a woman's voice.

"You're doing such a great job, but I'm not in a hurry and I'd love to push your cart for you."

I looked back to see a tall woman, maybe in her 40s, take over the old woman's cart and follow the couple the rest of the way past me and on to another part of the store. I couldn't quite make out the response except to hear gratitude in a wavery voice. Wow, that's paying it forward, I thought to myself. That's news worthy of sharing.

I continued in the opposite direction when it occurred to me that the compassionate stranger must have had a cart herself. Then I saw it, just a few items full, resting to the side at the end of the aisle.

I didn't see the old couple the rest of my time in the store nor did I see their new friend again, but I will never forget them.


Creative Commons Jamison Judd

No comments:

Post a Comment